Sunday, March 22, 2015

Painting a Mural

A few weeks ago, our entire team went to the town of Bubita (one of my favorites in Uganda) to paint a mural at a nursery school. Caitlin and I went out before everyone to paint a base layer so that it would be dry by the time everyone got there, and we had such the fantastic time. 
The Zaale family, our contact in Bubita, is so hospitable. They really take care of you when you visit their home. They prepare food, tell you stories, show you pictures, etc. They are truly an amazing family. David Zaale has a car but doesn't know how to drive. So any time I go out there and we need to travel around, he asks me to chauffeur. Caitlin wasn't so sure about my driving abilities since I had to drive on the opposite side of the street, but I always do alright. 
While we were waiting for our team to arrive, we decided to explore the area a bit. We went down to the creek and walked up until there was a spot deep enough for us to wade in. It was beautiful. I can't even express how much I love it up there. You are at the base of the mountains and have a good sized creek to spend time at - who wouldn't love that?
There were a bunch of kids near the creek that were climbing trees (can you seem them up in the air?) and when we came around they naturally climbed down and hung out with us. 
And when I say they hung out with us, they hung out with Caitlin. Kids always like her better. 
The water was perfect. I'm not even exaggerating. I was in complete heaven. And my wife turned into a mermaid while we enjoyed the water.
Once everyone got there, we decided we wanted to expand what we originally thought we would do, and we instead decided to do 3 murals. So we had some more base layers to paint. 
But once those dried, we got right to work. Our first idea was to do a tree with handprints as leaves. Unfortunately the paint we got was oil based, so when it got on my hand it would not come off... for a day or two. It was pretty bad. So we revamped our idea and painted leaves instead. 
The school where we painted the mural is run by an organization called PDI. They teach really little children, children who are still learning English. This would not have been an issue normally, but we had a ton of children at the school that kept trying to get into our things, and we couldn't communicate with them to tell them to play outside only. 
But they were so cute, we just took turns playing with them to keep them occupied rather than letting them run around in the paint. 
It took us about 8 hours to paint everything (including a great lunch break at the Zaale's house). We ended up painting the tree in one of the classrooms, an underwater scene in another, and a bunch of animals in the third. Not all of us are artists, but I think they turned out pretty well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment