Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween Happenings

Halloween is one of the happiest times of the year. Seriously, what could be better than dressing up in strange costumes, carving pumpkins, and eating candy until you're sick? And I guess you could really do that any day of the year, but on Halloween it is accepted by the general masses, and even encouraged. This year we had a pretty low-key Halloween, although we tried to make it fun and eventful.
I tried to make our food more Halloweeny, so I made Caitlin a special Jack-o-Lantern quesadilla, and for family night we made pumpkin bread, Frankenstein rice krispie treats, witches hats, and Halloween muddy buddies to deliver to some friends and neighbors. 
At my work we had a costume contest, and I won the award for "Weirdest Costume" - which may have been a compliment or an insult... I'll take the former. I even won a trophy! 
In the evening, we carved pumpkins and watched Hocus Pocus, handed out candy, and ate junk food until we were ready to puke.  
 
Caitlin's parents were going to visit a couple of friends, so we made them wear costumes. Caitlin's mom in a witches hat, and her dad wore my wig. He's never seen the Hunger Games, so he didn't really know the character he was going as, but it was fun to get them to dress up a bit. 
Since I grew up in a rural area, we never had trick-or-treaters, so I was thrilled to have little kids come to our door and beg for candy. We couldn't wait to finish our pumpkins and put them out so all the kids would see them. Caitlin made a cyclops, Lindsey made a ghost, and I made a zombie coming out of his grave. This was the first year we ever used stencils to carve our pumpkins. It was a ton of fun, but I think next year I'll go for an original design. 
Once we finally finished our pumpkins and put them out on the porch, the kids stopped coming. Maybe they were scared away by our frightening pumpkins... or maybe it took us so long to finish them that it was past the hour of tricks or treats. I guess that is one mystery we will never solve. :) Happy Halloween everyone! Can't wait for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment