Thursday, July 24, 2014

Officially a Master

I have a Master's degree. 
That's right. I'm all sorts of educated now. 
Can't you tell from the ridiculously sophisticated way that I write my blog?
Ha!

Did I ever tell you that I attended graduate school on a farm? 
Seriously.

The School for International Training is an amazing school. 
But...
It is also located in Brattleboro, Vermont - on an old farm - and there is a definitely unique vibe to the school. 

I'm pretty sure graduation was the epitome of this uniqueness.  
To start off, we did not have pomp and circumstance playing as we walked into graduation. 
We had a pair of drummers, beating away at their drums as we entered the ceremony. 
And the ceremony was beautiful. Since we graduated from a school on a farm, the view was breathtaking.
They had flags up that represented all the different nationalities of the graduating student body. 
Pretty impressive for a school in rural Vermont.

Sometimes when I say rural Vermont I feel like I'm being redundant. Doesn't Vermont signify that it is rural? 
I was excited to graduate. After all, I earned this degree. Many, many hours of reading, homework, and stress went into the making of my degree.
We had a phenomenal speaker. Joseph Sebarenzi. He is a Rwandan native, and survived the genocide. He graduated from my school, and wrote a book called God Sleeps in Rwanda. Amazing book. If you want an inside look at the genocide, check it out. 
I had a great seat for the ceremony. They put us in alphabetical order by degree. My actual degree is a Master's in Intercultural Service, Leadership, and Management. Kind of a mouthful. 
We had a ceremony where we received our hoods. 
It was kind of awkward since the guy giving us our hoods was a little on the short side. 
He should've been on a podium so it was a little easier, and less awkward for us tall kids.
And of course, the ceremony ended with the drummers it began with. 
Some of the professors tried to dance. 
For some reason, we were pretty lame and just marched.
Afterward there were a lot of hugs, and we got to meet Joseph Sebarenzi and take a picture with him. 
And of course, this degree would not have been possible had I not had Caitlin by my side. She is my biggest supporter and encouragement. Seriously. There would be no degree without this woman.
After the graduation ceremony there was a reception, and we were able to congratulate one another and meet everyone's families. I was surprised with how many parents came. 
I didn't really even invite my parents. Maybe I'm too independent - but I figured they had better things to do than to sit through the formalities of a graduation. They came to my first one. That was good enough for me.
These two girls, Sanna and Kelly, were in my very first group at SIT, and they were some of the best friends I made while up at school. They both helped me a ton during school, and in writing and defending my capstone. I didn't anticipate making such great friends when I started school, but these two are definitely two that I will always stay in contact with.

After the whole graduation ceremony, receiving my hood and diploma, real life happened and I realized I had to actually find a job. That is even less fun than writing a capstone paper for graduate school.
But luckily now I have my degree and the experiences of SIT to put on my resume that will hopefully lead me to my dream job in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment