Monday, June 9, 2014

Antigua, Guatemala

We absolutely love Antigua. Full of cobblestone streets, interesting architecture, and a fascinating crowd, it is one of those cities that easily sucks you in. We visited back in March when Rick was down in Guatemala, and thought it would be a perfect way to end my dads trip. 
We found a cute little hostel to stay in that was such a great deal. It was only $11 a night for a private room, and it included breakfast. Yes! We were happy. It was also near the center so we could play anytime we wanted to.
Of course, the majority of what we did in Antigua was walk around and visit the buildings. I absolutely love the architecture all around Latin America, but Antigua is a highlight. 

One of the main features in the architecture of Antigua is the multiple church ruins dotting the city. Back in the 1700s there was a series of earthquakes that basically ruined the then capital city of Guatemala. Today, the ruins of some of the largest cathedrals are now historical markers that you can explore. We went to one of these ruins with my dad (and visited others back when Rick was here). So the following pictures are just a bunch of the ruins. Seriously, this is one of my favorite things to explore. And these churches were HUGE. I can't imagine filling them all to capacity. 




Besides walking around the city and ruins, we also took my dad to the artisan market - which was really funny. I kept bartering with people to get lower prices, and after a little while my dad said, "I didn't know you guys were hurting so bad on money." We just laughed. He thought the prices were cheap enough (coming from a US perspective) but we knew what the prices should be, so we kept bartering. 
We ended our time in Antigua going to a restaurant/bar that had pool tables and a rooftop terrace where we could relax and hang out before my dad left back to the states. We LOVED having him come and visit. I don't know if he will ever travel again after the week we put him through, but we had a great time having him come and visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment