Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Books to Read


Once upon a time I was a really good reader. Back in elementary school when you had Scholastic book fairs, and those great tissue paper catalogs to order out of. I was obsessed with Goosebumps books, and even took 3 or 4 of them with me every time my family went on vacation. I couldn't get enough of reading. 
Then I started high school and got really lazy - I hardly read anything, even the required books. Then in college, I remembered how much I loved reading, but I really didn't have time to do much reading for pleasure. But back then, I set my first reading goal of 50 Books to Read Before 30. I've read 23 of the books so far - but I keep adding books to my list. So rather than keeping with my original goal (only 2.5 years to go on that one). I'm going to just have a lifetime list of books.  And they aren't all super intellectual books either. I don't think all you should read are books to make you smarter. To me, books are better than movies, so I like to read for entertainment. So here it is, my lifetime book list... which will probably be amended within a year or two: 
  1. 1984 – George Orwell
  2. A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
  3. A Clockwork Orange – Anthony Burgess
  4. All Quiet on the Western Front – Erich Remarque
  5. All The Pretty Horses – Cormac McCarthy
  6. Angela’s Ashes – Frank McCourt
  7. Animal Farm – George Orwell
  8. Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
  9. Armor – Kim B. Clark
  10. Atlas Shurgged – Ayn Rand
  11. Atonement – Ian McEwan
  12. Beloved – Toni Morrison
  13. Blink – Malcolm Gladwell
  14. Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger
  15. Charlotte's Web - E.B. White
  16. Dracula – Bram Stoker
  17. Ender’s Game – Orson Scott Card
  18. Fablehaven Series – Brandon Mull
  19. Fire of the Covenant: The Story of the Willie & Martin Handcart Companies – Gerald N. Lund
  20. Flowers for Algernon – Daniel Keyes
  21. Freakonomics – Steven Levitt
  22. Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
  23. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
  24. Gulliver’s Travels - Jonathan Swift
  25. Half the Sky – Nicholas D. Kristof
  26. Hatchet – Gary Paulsen
  27. Have a Little Faith – Mitch Albiom
  28. How to Win Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegie
  29. I am the Messenger – Markus Zusak
  30. Into the Wild – Jon Krakauer
  31. Jesus the Christ – James E Talmage
  32. Les Miserables – Victor Hugo
  33. Life as we knew it – Susan Beth Pfeffer
  34. Little Women – Louisa M. Alcott
  35. Matched - Ally Condie
  36. Matilda – Roald Dahl
  37. Me Talk Pretty One Day – David Sedaris
  38. My Sisters Keeper – Jodi Picoult
  39. Number the Stars – Lois Lowry
  40. One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  41. Out of the Dust – Karen Hesse
  42. Outliers, The Story of Success – Malcolm Gladwell
  43. Over and Under – Todd Tucker
  44. Percy Jackson & the Olympians series – Rick Riordan
  45. Shattering Glass – Gail Giles
  46. Shiver – Maggie Stiefvater
  47. Shutter Island – Lehane Dennis
  48. Sophie’s Choice – William Styron
  49. Stand A Little Taller – Gordon B. Hinckley
  50. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen R Covey
  51. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain
  52. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer – Mark Twain
  53. The Beekeper’s Apprentice – Laurie R King
  54. The BFG – Roald Dahl
  55. The Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger
  56. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis
  57. The Color Purple – Alice Walker
  58. The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
  59. The Golden Compass Series – Philip Pullman
  60. The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
  61. The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
  62. The House on Mango Street – Sandra Cisneros
  63. The Infinite Atonement – Tad R. Callister
  64. The Maze Runner – James Dashner
  65. The New Jim Crowe - Michelle Alexander
  66. The Outsiders – S.E. Hinton
  67. The Shining – Stephen King
  68. The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemingway
  69. The Time Traveler’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger
  70. The Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
  71. Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe
  72. Three Cups of Tea – Greg Mortenson
  73. Treasure Island – Robert Louis Stevenson
  74. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival – Laura Hillenbrand
  75. Unwind - Neil Shusterman
  76. Walden – Hendry David Thoreau
  77. Where the Red Fern Grows - Wislon Rawls
  78. World War Z – Max Brooks
  79. Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
  80. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance – Robert M. Pirsig 


What books are on your must read list? I would love to know so I can keep adding to mine. 

1 comment:

  1. What a fun list! I too love to read but never make a list because I don't want to get disappointed to see how little I actually read. I feel like I need to get a 9th and 10th grade reading list and catch up on what I missed out on. I read like a billion books senior year but I've missed some classics. I just watched an insanely fascinating documentary on JD Salinger so now I need to read Catcher in the Rye already. I read Charlotte's Web to Graham this summer, I found a huge 8x11 hard back copy at DI for $4, pretty much a good find. Holy cow, I am writing a book right now, sorry such a long comment! In other news are you guys going to be traveling through Nicaragua? If so we could tell you some places we loved. We are dying to go back! Hope all is well for you guys!
    -Tess

    ReplyDelete