Thursday, January 2, 2014

Working On My Goals

Want to be motivated in goal setting? Watch this video. It is the most inspiring video I've watched in a long while. It is focused on sports, but can be applied to practically anything.

I think that goals are extremely important. They help us prioritize our life and for me have helped to push me to do things that scare me or are difficult. Every now and again I look over my goals and see how I am doing and try to chose goals that I can focus on more intently. 

At the end of 2013/beginning of 2014 I went through and categorized and modified my life goals. They have shifted quite a bit since 2010 when I last set my goals. I set those goals before I was married, a lot of them I set back in 2008. So it was a little outdated. Caitlin helped me understand that even though I set goals back in 2008, I could always change them now since you should not feel obligated to complete goals you no longer feel are important/necessary to your happiness or progression.

That brings me to my next point - I think that goals should make you happy. That is the purpose of this life, right? Gordon B. Hinckley said, "Life is to be enjoyed, not endured." Another wise man, Thomas S. Monson said, "Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows." And so I set my goals to get the most enjoyment out of life. 

Additionally, I set my goals to push me in order to become a better person. I like to push myself in my goals, because if I write it down I am more likely to accomplish it - and I have to push myself to accomplish a lot of my goals - and I love it. I love looking at the progress I've made and I am happy to see the success that comes through hard work and dedication to a goal.

So here we are in 2014 and I'm deciding on which goals I want to focus on. Some I already have planned for the year, and some will be a stretch - but I've starred the ones I hope to accomplish in the coming year. The ones in orange I've previously accomplished. 

Education Goals
Read at least 100 novels
Earn my Master’s degree*
Become fluent in 2 foreign languages

Talent Goals
Learn to dance (Salsa, Tango, Ballroom)
Plant a garden and eat the food
Learn how to play the piano
Take voice lessons

Spiritual Goals
Serve a mission with my wife
Help build a home for the needy
Do the temple work for my grandparents
Get married in the temple
Serve a mission
Family Goals
Have children
Coach a little league soccer team
Teach my kids Spanish
Go hunting with my dad
Buy a house
Physical Goals
Run a half marathon
Learn to do a cartwheel
Do 90 days of P90X
Do 60 days of Insanity*
Bike to work every day for 3 months
Complete a triathlon
Be able to do a one-handed pushup
Be a vegan for a month
Give up sugar for a month

Adventure Goals
See the northern lights
Hike an active volcano*
Save someone’s life
See a penguin in the wild
Live in a foreign country
Go up in a hot air balloon
Catch a fish with my bare hands
Go surfing
Hike Half Dome
Go rock climbing
Milk a cow
Ride a horse
Put my feet in the Atlantic Ocean
Eat a deep fried tarantula 

Travel Goals
Visit South Africa
Visit India
Visit Ethiopia
Visit El Salvador*
Visit Argentina
Go on a gondola ride in Venice
Go on an African safari
Go to Niagara Falls
Visit all 50 states
Backpack through Central America*
Visit the Grand Canyon

 I would love to hear any other suggestions of goals. And I would love to hear what your goals are. Accountability is important in goal setting, so it is important that you share your goals with others. So let me know what your goals are and how you're doing on accomplishing them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment