Monday, December 16, 2013

Singing in a Choir

Ever since high school, I have avoided singing in choirs. Maybe a ward choir here or there, but nothing long term, and definitely nothing time consuming. I don't know what it is about choirs, but I absolutely hate singing in them. Maybe it is because I feel like it is a waste of time, or maybe it is because all the practice goes to a super short performance and is definitely not worth the time you put into it. 

But for some reason, we decided to join the stake choir in San Cristobal. I'ms till not sure what made me do it.

And may I remind you that this is not just a regular choir, but this is a Mexican choir. Have you ever heard Mexicans sing? They don't normally sing in choirs - so it made for an exceptionally difficult task to sing on key and in harmonies. Our choir director/pianist thought we were the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or something, so he chose difficult arrangements and a variety of ways to change up the songs we sang. Put on top of that the fact that nearly the entire choir couldn't read music and more than half were nearly tone-deaf, and you have our experience over the past few months. 

But it was a great experience nonetheless. We came to absolutely love the people in the choir. Caitlin made friends with all the sopranos and I made friends with all the guys. We would often separate guys and girls and I would play the piano for the guys to practice. Then I had to lead them... which was always humorous. 
Caitlin with some of her soprano buddies.
We performed twice for Christmas, once in a community Christmas concert, and the other time in a church Christmas devotional. In the latter, Caitlin and I actually sang in a quartet... although it wasn't our finest moment. :)


For our last practice, we brought treats for everyone. I had always teased our director that we needed snacks if we were going to sing for 2-3 hours (from 5-8). But they never brought us any. So we made some cookies and rice krispy treats. I don't think we've ever been so popular before. Suddenly everyone wanted to talk to the gringos. :) But it made for a super sweet last practice. 
And even though I hate singing in choirs, I really loved this choir and am kind of sad that it is over. Although I would not ask for another 3 hour practice ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment