Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Working Out is Insanity

Have you ever heard of Insanity? It is a crazy exercise program that is mainly cardio with a handful of resistance training. And for some reason, Caitlin and I want to have fit bodies, so we are trying to exercise every morning at 6:30. 

Yes, work out at 6:30 every single morning (with a break on Sunday).


So far it has been going really well. We missed Friday and Saturday of last week because Caitlin was super sick, and I couldn't motivate myself to get up and work out without her. But we have done it for 10 days so far - and here are some things I've learned about exercise in the past 10 days.

1. I love the feeling of exercising. Maybe the motion of exercising isn't my favorite, but the feeling after you finish a hard workout is seriously one of the best feelings. 
2. I am so much more conscious of how food affects my body. I am not a health freak. Actually, I love sugar. I'm probably addicted to it - but now I feel how much that affects how my body feels. 
3. I am flexible. Seriously. I have always been a super stiff person. I have never been able to touch my feet or do any crazy stretches, but now I can. It is crazy how exercise, paired with stretching can improve your flexibility. 
4. Sore muscles feel better than fat. Even if I can barely get out of bed in the morning (which hasn't happened since the first few days) it feels a lot better than how your body feels when it is covered in a thick layer of fat. 

I'm sure there are a lot of other things that I've learned, but these few stick out in my mind. I am not a fitness expert, nor do I really know a whole lot about exercise - but I love it. And Caitlin is a really good motivator. She can't believe that I used to be a lot bigger than I am - and I think we're both a little paranoid that one day I'm going to gain all my old weight back. So we obsess over reading nutrition labels and we watch the Biggest Loser as frequently as we can in the hopes that we can avoid the all-American fate of obesity. So far it is working.

If you are out of shape, overweight, or not as happy with your body as you think you should be - I would highly recommend Insanity. I would also recommend finding a good workout buddy. Working out with Caitlin is a lot more fun than working out by myself. Seriously, she is so much fun to work out with and really helps me want to work out. And when one of us has a bad day, the other is there to pick us up. One of my fitness goals is to complete all of Insanity (60 days). I don't think we will be able to do a complete 60 days in 2013, but 2014 isn't too far away, and hopefully we can condition ourselves to get ready for next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment