Thursday, December 27, 2012

Les Miserables


Caitlin and I went and saw Les Miserables on Christmas day - and we were less than thrilled with the movie. It was beautifully done, and the music was amazing - but it was a bit more raunchy than we had anticipated. Granted, we knew that Fantine was a prostitute, but we found the way they portrayed her situation, and other scenes in the movie to be a bit distasteful. We for sure would not buy the movie - although the soundtrack would be nice to have. There were also quite a few close up singing scenes where all you could see was the characters face. Although it looked nice for one scene - it was difficult to sit through 2.5 hours of close ups and no action.

I did love the make-up and how visually stunning the movie was, and I really loved (and kind of hated) how the characters teeth were disgusting and such. Made it seem more authentic. And although Russell Crow isn't the best singer, and Javert is my favorite character so it was a little difficult to overlook - I did enjoy his acting choices, and thought he did a great job. Overall I think I would give the movie a B - could've been an A if there hadn't been the overly graphic scenes at the beginning.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I worried that they would depict the Fantine situation distastefully. It's a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, amen, amen! My thoughts exactly, I'd love the soundtrack but will not be buying the movie because of two very inappropriate scenes. I mean really! We could have gotten the picture without them. And I appreciate that you and Caitlin saw the raunchiness for what it was. I've heard reviews from others where it didn't phase them for two seconds. WHA?

    ReplyDelete