Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I will never be an old man.

"I will never be an old man. To me, old age is always 15 years older than I am." 

-Bernard M. Baruch 


That statement was made for me. For real. I turned 26 on July 18th and I don't feel old at all. Actually, I'm surprised that I was more freaked out about 24 and 25 than I was about turning 26. Luckily I have the greatest wife and best friends that helped me celebrate my birthday.

Rick Lee Roper, the best friend I could ever have, threw me a birthday party up in Rexburg. The annual Birthday Bash went down just like usual (only with a great deal fewer people). We had live music and cupcakes, and it was awesome! I loved seeing friends in Rexburg that I hadn't seen in forever. It was a blast.

Here are some cupcakes that Alison Bates made for me. She was so creative!

My old FHE sister Megan Butler was there and we had to take a picture without our braces. The birthday bash two years ago we both had braces on our pearly whites.

Tandem (Tandy and Emma) wrote a song for my birthday bash. Emma was in Canada/Utah (I never really got the story) so they couldn't perform live, but I loved the video!

We had some other really great music and creative songs. It was so much fun - even though it was raining. I got to see a lot of my old roommates too, which is great because I probably wont see them again for a few years. 

On my actual birthday my sister Carley, and her boyfriend Mike came down to Utah to visit us. They were in Idaho for the week and decided to spend the 17th and 18th with Caitlin and me. Carley and I were both born in July, so I signed her up for the Tucanos Birthday Club and we both got free meals. It was superb food, and SOOOO much fun to have them there to celebrate. I can't wait until they come to visit us out in Vermont.

Caitlin asked me if I wanted a cake for my birthday and I said no since I figured we would never be able to eat the whole thing, so we just had ice cream (and burnt cookies - my bad!) and she gave me the greatest gifts. She is really so thoughtful. She bought me a dictionary. I know - kind of nerdy, but I really wanted this particular dictionary. It is a Spanish/English picture dictionary. I checked one out from the library a while back and absolutely loved "reading" it. I'm excited to have one of my own now. She also got me BYU shirts since I've been talking about how I need to sport BYU pride in Vermont, and she bought me a new bag for school - which was very much needed. She is the perfect gift giver. 

Then the Smith family surprised me by bringing by a "birthday cantaloupe" - which is the first time I've gotten a cantaloupe for my birthday. The whole gang showed up and sang to me, lit the candles (which were actually matches) and allowed me to make a wish. It was so great, and they are so thoughtful for coming over.

The next day when I got to work (I took the 17th and 18th off) my coworkers had decorated my office. There were streamers and confetti everywhere. It was a little excessive, but it was great to see how much they cared. 

Turning 26 was amazing. I really loved everything about it. And I can tell that 26 is going to be the best year for me so far!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday!! Duude 26 is pretty much like turning 21. I'm convinced.
    And Ps thanks for your email- really appreciated! I'm looking into BYU's website and figuring out my life. Glad to hear Caitlin went into such a cool field. I've always liked that girl.
    pps HI CAITLIN! :)

    ReplyDelete