Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Getting our Pageant On

Last weekend we went to Manti, Utah to watch the Mormon Miracle Pageant at the temple. I had never been to a pageant before so I didn't really know what to expect. It started at 9:30 p.m. which was extremely late for us, especially since the pageant is about 2 hours long. But we really enjoyed being outside and getting to see the LDS history (and Book of Mormon history) displayed in a unique way.
There are hundreds of people who participate in the pageant who play Nephites, Lamanites, and LDS pioneers. None of the actors talk, but the show is narrated. Even though, it would be a bit difficult to follow if you didn't already know the story of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon plot.

Caitlin had been to Manti before, but I had never seen the temple. It was absolutely gorgeous - and HUGE! I couldn't believe how huge the temple was, especially since it is in the middle of nowhere. Literally. Manti is about an hour and a half southeast of Provo and there is not a whole lot surrounding the area. Lots of farms. We actually got to visit one of Caitlin's old roommates, Kayna, who lives with her husband in Ephriam (an even smaller town outside of Manti). They live/work on a farm there. 


We got to the pageant about an hour early to get good seats (it wasn't too difficult - there were actually tons of seats set up) so we played around with the camera on my phone for a while while we waited. 
We were fascinated by the color of the sky. It was actually pretty dark when we took these pictures, but my phone made it look bright blue outside. 


After watching the pageant (although it was a good show) I'm not sure if I'm a pageant type of person. I enjoyed watching it, but I'm not dying to see another one. Although, if I'm in Palmyra or Nauvoo during a pageant I would for sure attend - but I wouldn't plan my vacation around one. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been to that one, Nauvoo and Mesa's Easter Pageant. I enjoyed Nauvoo, but Mesa's is really the best. :) So if you're down there around Easter - make sure you go!

    ReplyDelete