Thursday, October 6, 2011

New Family

When you marry someone, you marry their family. At least that is what I've heard. I'm not quite there yet, but I have to say that I'm actually excited for it. Caitlin and I have COMPLETELY different families. It's hard for either of us to really comprehend how different our families are. But one thing I've come to understand is that rather than comparing families or thinking about the odd quirks or challenges our individual families possess, I'm focusing on whether or not I would want to be friends with her family. That may seem kind of strange since I will be related to them after we're married, but you can't choose your family. You can, however, choose your friends.

Would I be friends with Caitlin's family? For sure. They're fun and loyal. They strive to be good influences. I can talk casually to any of them, and I feel as though they've accepted me for who I am. I'm really enjoying being around her family. We're not around my family quite as much so it may be a bigger transition, but since my family already loves Caitlin, I'm sure it will come naturally.

Here are a few pictures of us from this past weekend when we went to General Conference and spent some time with Caitlin's family.

Caitlin and I in the conference center.

Lindsey and Caitlin. I know Lindsey the best out of all of Caitlin's sisters and she is seriously so great. I like to pretend she is my little sister as well, only I don't try and make her play school with me or force her to clean her room like Caitlin did growing up.

This is part of the Smith family. A bit of the extended family. They were so great to us and let us stay at their house in Provo even though they went to Salt Lake for the weekend.

And of course, would one of my blog posts be complete without a reference to music? I love the Avett Brothers and the first few lines in this song are amazing. I also love the rest of the song a lot. Actually I love all of their music A LOT. Enjoy.



"The family is both the fundamental unit of society as well as the root of culture. It ... is a perpetual source of encouragement, advocacy, assurance, and emotional refueling that empowers a child to venture with confidence into the greater world and to become all that he can be." -Marianne E. Neifert

3 comments:

  1. Devin I just about died with excitement for you and Caitlin! So I sent you a FB message full of enthusiasm ;)
    But in other news: The Avett Brothers=love.
    Please tell me you're getting married in January and using the song January wedding.
    My only request for you.
    Oh, and I'd like an announcement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post! And I only played school with Lindsey growing up to get her ready for what lies ahead of her :) She was more than ready to start kindergarten. And now look how smart she is...it's all because of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhhhaa! Mine and Scott's families are completely different too! His is the "Mormon" fam- all going back to the first baptized. Mine is well, only my brother, me, and two cousins have been married in the temple and that almost counts for how many are baptized members! Have fun!! I love Scott's family and wouldn't trade them for anyone else's.

    ReplyDelete