Friday, October 21, 2011

Do You Know How To...?

Have you ever sat down and thought about all the diverse things you've learned to do during the course of your life? I know that 25 is not very old to be reminiscing about my life, but I've been thinking a lot lately about some of the strange things I know how to do. Here is a list I've compiled of some of the diverse things I know how to do:

I know how to deliver a baby. What a strange skill to possess, right? Well this is not the only medical-type skill in my repertoire. I actually studied to become an EMT and am nationally certified. Although I took the classes, labs, clinicals, and national exams, I have never practiced. Basically it's just been good information to have. Plus, it makes for a great excuse to tease Caitlin about delivering our children. She's not too keen on the idea. :)

I can read, understand and actually enjoy (gasp!) Shakespeare.
I've always had a love for Shakespeare. I can't quite pinpoint when it started, but most likely it was when I had a silent role in A Midsummer Night's Dream when I was a freshman in high school. Since then I have taken two classes all about Shakespeare and read all but two of his plays. Macbeth is my favorite of them all, but I'm also a fan of Twelfth Night. I think this is a skill that anyone can gain if they have the desire, but when I worked in the English Department at BYU-Idaho there were several people I spoke with who had no desire to ever read or try to comprehend even a sonnet written by Shakespeare. What a shame.

I can drive (and back up) a semi-truck. This is a relitively new skill (the past month or so) and I don't particularly enjoy it, but I feel that it adds to the diversity of things I am able to do. Not many people transition from Shakespeare to semis, but I do. I must admit that the first time I got behind the wheel of one of these monsters I was terrified. Since that first day (which was nearly accident free) I have calmed down quite a bit and am not a semi-pro semi-truck driver.


I know how to tape and treat sports injuries. I even worked in the sports medicine treatment room at BYU-I for a semester. I loved learning how to tape and even more so, I loved practicing on Ben and Rick. The class I had to take was pretty pointless since we learned everything through videos, but it is such a useful skill to have and be able to use when you know someone in need.






I know how to use the Adobe Design Suite and can design virtually anything I set my mind to (although I don't set my mind to impossible design-ness since I didn't study graphic design). I love playing around designing things and while I was at BYU-Idaho I had several of my designs used in advertisements around campus and on the school website. I'm even designing my wedding announcement, which is one of the most difficult pieces I've designed. Designing for yourself is a lot more difficult than designing for a client. If you want to see some of my work you can go here. Just a sampling on a website I made for a class.


I know how to work an SLR and can even develop my own film. SLR, eh? Maybe some of you are confused by this acronym (Single Lens Reflex) but it layman's terms it is a camera that uses a mirror to reflect the image seen in the viewfinder onto the film. Really quite basic, but it has a lot of settings that can kind of be confusing to our generation of digital camera clickers. I used to love taking pictures, and using an SLR was my favorite. But the digital wave took over and the necessity of using film (I even cut and rolled my own) went out the window. It's been years since I've seen a dark room and I doubt they will be coming back into style anytime soon.

I speak Spanish, or en español, Yo hablo Español. I learned Spanish on my two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Houston, Texas. I loved learning Spanish, and I love being able to communicate with those immigrants that haven't learned English. I work with a guy named Antonio who is from Mexico. He's been in the United States for three years but still hasn't picked up on much English. Since I'm the only one that speaks Spanish, we have formed a bond and now he comes to me when he has questions about what we're doing, and I even gave him a ride in my semi-truck to his car. This could've been a missed friendship had we not spoken the same language. This is one skill I am extremely grateful to possess.


I know how to cut frames and mats and frame pictures. This is a completely useless skill unless I have the proper equipment (I guess some of my other skills are too) but it's still super cool that I can do it! In the picture, Lacy and I are posing inside a frame that I'm sure one of us assembled. We used to work at a custom frame shop where we helped customers match mats and frames to their prints, and then we'd cut the frames, mats, plexiglass and put it all together. Many of the pictures hanging in my dads house are ones that I framed. Having a skill like this for sure gives you beautiful decor around the house.

My last skill is one I also picked up recently, and that is knowing how to drive a tractor. You wouldn't think these babies were all that different from a car, but they are. It only took about a day to figure my way around a tractor, and I had a great teacher who helped me along the way. But had I not been forced into learning for my new job, I don't think I would've ever taken the time to learn the in's and out's of a John Deere. Luckily I have and it is something that can go on my list of random skills I possess.

Well that is it for today. I hope you enjoyed my random list of skills. If you have any sort of crazy weird skills I would love to hear about them. As hard as I tried I could't think of any more skills that show my diversity, but I'm sure they're out there and as soon as I publish this post I'll think of a million. So maybe I'll do another post sometime in the future regarding some other interesting random skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment