Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Newel K. Whitney Scholar Award


To continue with my posting about graduation I wanted to post quickly about an award I was honored with. Here is the email I received notifying me that I won:

The BYU-Idaho Department of Communication is pleased to announce that you have been selected to receive the Newel K. Whitney Scholar award. Please join us for an award ceremony Tuesday, July 19, 2011, from 2-3 p.m. in Manwaring 372.

The Newel K. Whitney Scholar award is in memory of the early Church leader who used his gifts, talents and means to build the kingdom of God. Whitney was innovative, frugal, and honest. Additionally, he was able to improve his business yet remain loyal to the Church despite hard times. "He was a successful businessman, a presiding bishop of the Church, a prominent civic official, and a notable member of his community." (D. Michael Quinn, "The Newel K Whitney Family," Ensign, December 1978, 42.) Whitney was part of the School of the Prophets and an in-depth, effective communicator. This award in his name is given to students who have displayed similar traits.

Specifically, you are being honored for your character, diligence and pursuit of excellence. Selected students must be nominated by at least three Communication faculty who feel you will represent the Church, university and department as an exemplary graduate.

It is really an honor to be nominated for such an award and be recognized for the work I did on campus. During the ceremony my boss, Delaina Scholes, introduced me to those in attendance, and with tears in her eyes presented me me with my award. I am so grateful to have been able to attend BYU-Idaho, and even more grateful to have gained my education in the Communication Department.

1 comment: