Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Crumpets and Grapes

New York: land of crumpets and grapes... right? Maybe that is not the first thing that comes to mind when you think about the Empire State, but maybe you weren't imagining the Burke home.

For breakfast this morning we made Cauldron Cakes from our Harry Potter Cookbook. They turned out phenomenal. Mama and Papa Burke are possibly more obsessed with Harry Potter than I am. Because of that obsession, PB was determined to make crumpets for us today. I'd never tasted (or seen) a crumpet before, but they are kind of like sweet, less crusty English muffins. Actually quite delicious. We ate them with butter, strawberries, orange marmalade, and for some, kiwi. I would love to try them with tea, but I'm not a big hot tea drinker. Oh well. Made me feel a slight connection to my wizarding friends at Hogwarts. Here is a picture of the actual crumpets I devoured.




The actual grape vine I swiped
my sour grape from

Where we are staying in upstate New York (which is quite close to the Pennsylvania border) there are dozens of vineyards and grapes are growing everywhere! We helped out an older couple today with their yard work and they asked us to chop down the wild grapes growing everywhere. Since they are edible I decided to pop a grape into my mouth while serving in the sunshine and rain. It was about as sour as any grape I'd ever eaten in my life. This got me thinking about why we use the phrase "sour grape" in the English language.

Wikipedia says, "The phrase sour grapes is an expression originating from "The Fox and the Grapes," one of Aesop's Fables. It refers to pretending not to care for something one does not or cannot have." and wanting to learn more about this I looked up Aesop's Fable which says, "A famished Fox saw some clusters of ripe black grapes hanging from a trellised vine. She resorted to all her tricks to get at them, but wearied herself in vain, for she could not reach them. At last she turned away, beguiling herself of her disappointment, and saying: 'The Grapes are sour, and not ripe as I thought.'"

Quite interesting. Cauldron cakes. Crumpets. Sour grapes and a fable. What a cultured time on Una Vida Normal. :)

1 comment:

  1. Where next to the border? Did you know my mom lived her whole unmarried life in upstate New York fairly close to the Pennsylvania border? Well she did. I loved it when we went to visit. So what is this cross country trip? Is it just randomly helping old people with their grapes? If so, I love it! If not so, I still love it! Looks like a great time!
    -Tess
    p.s. my mom is from Johnson City, near Binghamton, in Broome County, fyi.

    ReplyDelete