Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Name is Devin Graves...

While in Hawaii we had a recurring joke that any time somebody complained about being fat, white, tired, sore, etc. we would say, "My name is Devin Graves (replace with your name) and I love my body." I didn't give this much thought, but rather just laughed every time we jokingly commented on how much we loved our bodies. Well today I am very grateful for my body. Of course there are those imperfections, but I am able to do a lot of things that many cannot do.

The reason I think of this is because I saw a guy on campus today that was probably close to 300 pounds. I easily caught up to him as he entered one of the buildings, where he slumped down on a bench to catch his breath. As I passed him I felt guilty for having complained about anything that happens with my body. This morning I was able to wake up at 6:00 and run 4.5 miles, and still out walk many of the students on campus. What a blessing it is to be able to have a functioning body. Although my body is far from perfect, I am grateful for the progress I've made and for the ability I have to exercise, eat right, and feel good.

And for the record, my name is Devin Graves, and I love my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment