Friday, March 25, 2011

Newel K. Whitney Summit


Yesterday I had the opportunity to help host the Newel K. Whitney Summit on campus. It was so much fun and big of energy draining day. It is weird, but it slightly reminded me of Get Connected - only more grown up and important. I was able to host Bruce Jensen, the Vice President of Communication at Intermountain Healthcare. He was such an amazing presenter and communicator. Really a great example of a successful communication major. He encouraged everyone to pursue a higher degree, which was great for me because I've been really debating whether or not I should continue on after school.

He also spoke about branding yourself. What message do you convey to others, and what message do you want to convey? This is something that really hit me hard. I don't know what type of person I am. I feel that I'm inconsistent with the things I say and do, and people I meet in varying circumstances would say very different things about me. I need to work on this big time.

There were some other great presenters that I really enjoyed listening to - but really Brother Jensen was the best one there. I felt truly blessed to be able to interact with him.

For our summit we had breakfast at 8:00, presentations at 9:00, 10:00, 11:00 and a luncheon at 12:00. There was a campus tour at 1:00 and a forum at 2:00 followed by a reception. After the day we were all ready for a nap! I really would love to do it all over again though. Such a rewarding experience, and like Get Connected, all the work you put into it throughout the semester really does pay off in the end.

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny that it reminded you of GetConnected. Katie Wilson and I ushered Savior of the World last night...and we were talking about things along the same lines. Your feet and legs hurt, you were exhausted...but you feel SOO good. :)

    ReplyDelete