Thursday, February 3, 2011

Music, and then some...

I found this quote: "Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.

I feel like he knows exactly who I am. I cannot live without music. For some reason it is engrained into ever fiber of my being. I cannot go a day without listening to some sort of tune. It seems a bit obsessive, but it really is a part of me. There is so much soothing that comes through music and hearing a familiar voice, or meaningful lyrics. Some people may not understand, but I feel as if there are so many emotions connected to music. It can bring you back to simpler times, excite you for the adventures that lie ahead or drag you down to the depths of misery. It can grab your soul and testify of truth, it can make you feel as if Satan himself is knocking on your door. It can make you fall in love or rip out your heart and throw it on the floor. Music really is a powerful element, and one that I can barely understand. But as of recently these have been a few of my favorite songs:

Adele, Make You Feel My Love
The Black Eyed Peas, Whenever
Brandi Carlile, Story
My Terrible Friend, When I Decide
The Tallest Man on Earth, The Gardener
Mumford & Sons, The Cave
She & Him, In The Sun
Joshua Radin, Everything'll Be Alright
Carla Bruni, Quequ'un M'a Dit

Is there a reason why music - especially such a variety of music is essential to life? I like to believe that it is connecting to us on a deeper level than anything else can. I may be wrong, and maybe not everyone feels the same connection to music that I do. But I firmly believe that music is a part of us, from conception to death (and hopefully after) we are affected by music and can use it to enrich our lives.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I haven't had anything out of you in awhile! And now you exploded with BLOGS! I LOVE IT! I like the updates. Is there a 'Like' button? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you every time I listen to Regina. So I'm a little surprised not to see her on this list. But I am happy to see Adele. She's one of my new faves. But not the chasing penguins song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy updates! I just wanted to say that I have always appriciated your taste in music--especially on our road trips to St. George.

    ReplyDelete