Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Houston to Rexburg, and Then Some

So what has been going on in my life this past month? Craziness. I wish I would have more time to update my blog (good thing it wasn’t a new years resolution), but I doubt this semester will be a very good one for me.

Here are some highlights from the past month:

I left Houston. It was sad, and happy and all sorts of mixed emotions. I really made some amazing friends down there. I doubt I would ever live in Houston again, but I am really excited to be able to visit and see all my great friends.

Some of the great people I met:

My younger brother Colton flew down in December and we road tripped it back to Oregon. But of course we spent a few days soaking up the sun in the south before heading back up. We went to Galveston, a cowboy bar with my coworkers, we made pupusas and ate barbeque and Bluebell. All things that are Texas to me, I made sure he experienced them.

We drove through San Antonio and experienced the River Walk for the first time, stopped by the Alamo, drove through New Mexico, Arizona, California, spent time on the beach in the rain and we even won the lottery ($20). We drove through a tree, snuggled in bed with Marisa and oh so much more. Basically we had an amazing trip.


Christmas came and went, New Years happened as it does every year, and then another semester started. I cannot believe that I will be graduated in 6 months, but I am slowly preparing for that day. This semester I have the opportunity to work with BYU-Idaho Service Activities and the amazing people that plan and carry out the service projects on campus and in the community of Rexburg. It has been a lot of work, but it really has put me in a position to learn how to be a better leader, how to rely more on the spirit and has helped me grow and come to understand myself better. I am really loving my time with Service Activities.

I am also working with Sister Bergstrom, the dean of the College of Business and Communication on planning the Newel K. Whitney Summit that will happen toward the end of the semester. This is a whole new experience for me, and I am excited with all that we do. We will have 9 speakers come to campus and speak on topics ranging from communication to accounting to CIT. I am part of a 9 student group that will plan the summit and each of us will play host to a speaker. It is a great opportunity for me to learn as well as network with some top dogs in the communication field.

I am also keeping busy with my senior project doing grant writing for some non-profits. I’m listening to some great music like Pomplamoose, Adele, Mumford & Sons, Brandi Carlile, Brett Dennen and My Terrible Friend. Literally, music is so important to me – and these few artists have been so great to me in 2011. I’m also diving into my callings at church (Ward Mission Leader, Ward Temple Coordinator and member of the Ward Service Committee). It is going to be a great semester, I can feel it.

More will come of course. Just wait and see. J

No comments:

Post a Comment