Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Growing Up

I love to read Dilbert. It always manages to bring a smile to my face - even when the comic is ridiculous. My best friend has always gotten me a Dilbert calendar for Christmas each year (one that you tear off every day) but for some reason this year is different. I think it's because I'm growing up. I read about these workplace shenanigans and think, "This is going to be me one day. I'm going to have to work." Terrifying thought isn't it?

I don't know if everyone goes through this as they approach graduation, but I cannot imagine working for the rest of my life. I like to work, and I love being able to contribute to society, but I also like to have freedom - and a job seems like it requires a commitment, and then with a job comes responsibilities and bills and even more responsibility. Can't I just stay young forever and never worry about growing up? Or even better yet, can't I grow up and not have to worry about being an adult? I recently set the goal to live on 3 continents in the next 5 years. If I'm unable to accomplish that, then at least 3 countries, even if two of them are on the same land mass. I'm excited to graduate and have adventures, but I refuse to become an adult.

I've also been thinking a lot about going out and having adventures and how much I want somebody to come with me. This is not a sad story about being desperately single, because really I'm not ready for marriage in any aspect of my life - but I can't wait until I find that girl who wants to do all of those crazy things with me. A girl without worries, fears or obligations. That will be a good day - although possibly 10 years in the future. Maybe that'll finally make me feel like I'm an adult. But I highly doubt that.


No comments:

Post a Comment