Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Free Rice


I have a new favorite website. It is Freerice.com. Basically all you do is get on and play some trivia games (mine is set to Spanish trivia at the moment) and for every question you get right, the website will donate 10 grains of rice to developing nations.

It sounds kind of cheesy, and really 10 grains of rice isn't a lot. But if you answer 100 questions, you donate 1000 grains of rice. And if everyone were doing the exact same thing, then there would be millions of grains of rice donated.
I know that this is a small thing that I'm doing. In fact, I'm not even exerting any effort on my part, but it's good to know that there are those out there that are actively working towards ending global poverty. It is my dream one day that I may be able to work for an organization that will help eliminate global poverty.
Recently I have also been contemplating my graduation and traveling abroad. I've found a program that does community outreach in Ecuador that works with the population effected by HIV/AIDS. I think this would be such a rewarding experience and would really help me figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. I struggle with that a lot, especially since I just want to be happy, travel and help other people. Hopefully sometime within the next 6 months I can figure out what will make me happy. As for now, I'll continue answering my questions and donating rice. I'm up to 940 grains today - and it's barely begun!

2 comments:

  1. Devin! I check your blog nearly every day and haven't seen anything and then suddenly POW like 4 posts!!?? Also I think this rice thing is awesome and I'm totally going to do it. Also, lets be friends. when can we hangout?

    ReplyDelete