Friday, December 3, 2010

Reason for the Season?


I read a news article recently about competing billboards in New York. One is the billboard above that was put out by American Atheists. The other is a billboard put out by the Catholic Church. I'm kind of confused about atheists and their beliefs. I went to the website and read their reasoning, which to them might seem perfectly logical. If you can't prove it then it doesn't exist. I don't think they are wrong, but just have different viewpoints than my own.

One thing that I feel they have done that is not in harmony with what I believe is that they've put down others for what they believe. A great thing about our country is that we are able to worship in the way that we please (as long as it doesn’t infringe upon the constitutional rights of other individuals or break any laws). Teaching people about your religion is great. I appreciate learning about various religions, but the atheist campaign tells people they are wrong in believing in Christ.

I say that every person has a right to believe what they want. Christmas is a time to celebrate the birth of Christ. Atheists can start another holiday to commemorate the winter solstice, but I don’t feel that they should try and take the Christ out of Christmas. Maybe they can start a holiday celebrating reason. Then they could promote their own holiday rather than promoting a disintegration of beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. Very diplomatic of you Devin. I think that that image is probably very offensive to a lot of people and not very effective.

    ReplyDelete